Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Not Just an F - but an XF!

I love the University of Charleston's new policy of giving students an not just an F if they fail a course because of cheating or academic dishonesty, but giving them an XF. I think this sort of grade is a much needed corrective for students who think that cheating is worth the risk of getting found out and failing the course. Now not only will a cheating student fail the course but they will have that shame plastered on their transcript, perhaps permanently. Sure its not as good a branding them with a big XF on the forehead, but its a start.

1 comment:

M-Dawg said...

I agree with your university policy. Something needs to be done.

I'm a high school history teacher and I get so fed up with students cheating/plagarizing. I want to hold my students accountable but my administrator wants to "slap them on the wrist." How will they ever learn a lesson if they continue to get away with this? I tell them that universities have a zero tolerance policy. They look at me like I'm lying to them. I hope more universities and colleges implement similiar grading policies.