Tuesday, October 17, 2006

History Songs

I started this one night, but got distracted. Nevertheless here are some history songs - cuz you aren't a real history nerd until you got a favorite history song.

My 2 favorite history songs don't actually mention 'history' in the lyrics. Instead the lyrics mention historical events. 1. Band - Night They Drove Ol' Dixie Down (Virgil Caine is the name - and I served on the Danville train - 'Til Stoneman's cavalry came - and tore up the tracks again. - In the winter of '65 - We were hungry - just barely alive. - By May the tenth - Richmond had fell - it's a time I remember, oh so well); 2. Alabama - Song of the South (Well somebody told us wall street fell - But we were so poor that we couldn't tell. - Cotton was short and the weeds were tall - But Mr. Roosevelts a gonna save us all.)

Here are a few songs that actually mention history in the lyrics.

School Days - Chuck Berry

"Up in the morning and off to school - the teacher is teaching the golden rule. - American history and practical math - you study them hard, hoping to pass - working your fingers right down to the bone - the guy behind you won´t leave you alone."

History - Michael Jackson

"Every day create your history - Every path you take you're leaving your legacy - Every soldier dies in history - Every legend tells of conquest and liberty"

History - The Verve

"I'm thinking about history - And I'm living for history - And I think you know about me - Cause I am"

No comments: