Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Professorial Influence

Damn. Academics already don't have any influence over public policy, popular culture, or even educational matters. Now you are telling me - we don't even impact our students' political choices?!?

Actually, I'm not that surprised. I try to keep my students guessing about my political leanings - so even if they wanted to vote like me they might not be able to figure out my choices. Besides by teaching American foreign policy, I'm always critizing Republicans and Democrats alike. If anything, my classes probably think I'm unAmerican, as opposed to an adherent of one political party over another. Still it is kind of depressing to see how little impact we have on impressional young minds. Perhaps the only thing we are good far is teaching critical thinking skills.

You can read the NYT story here: Professors’ Liberalism Contagious? Maybe Not - NYTimes.com

No comments: