Friday, June 25, 2004

Rebels and Redcoats

PBS this weekend is running a show called "Rebels and Redcoats", which presents the American Revolution from a position that is sympathetic to the British. There is a nice write up of it on HNN. While in my classes I try to portray some of the ways that the American Revolution can be viewed in a negative light, I don't succeed very well. My description of the Revolution is basically a success story of a colonized people gaining the right to run their country in a manner they see fit. (I realize there are problems with this version of the Revolution!)

I am thinking about taping "Rebels and Redcoats" and showing at least part of it to my classes. This would give them another perspective and let me make a point about the nature of historical interpretation.

No comments: